Jewish Community Action is seeking a Communications Associate to think strategically about the narrative and stories that define our work and engage our 1,000 member households while communicating effectively with our constituents, partners, and the broader community.
We work to build a strong Jewish voice for racial and economic justice, and this position is a great opportunity for a resourceful and imaginative person with energy and passion for social change. We have recently undergone a leadership transition and as we build our team, we’re excited to add a fresh perspectives and new voices – we take our work very seriously, but we try to enjoy ourselves while we do it. Creative thinkers are encouraged to apply.
- Work with organizers and development staff to develop communications messaging and materials.
- Use social media to engage and interact with our members and allies and
- Coordinate communications for coalition and partnership work.
- JCA website: generate original content and work with organizing staff to develop and edit campaign-related content.
- Create flyers and promotional materials for events and campaigns.
- Coordinate newsletter, annual report, and other publications, both electronically and in print. Work with a professional designer as needed.
- Create communications strategy and materials for JCA events, coordinate coverage for photography and social media as needed.
- Engage with media and write press releases to communicate our work to a broad audiences.
- We are a small office and take an “all hands on deck” approach to problem-solving. Be ready to troubleshoot an unplugged mouse, unjam the copier, or help a co-worker reformat a flyer when it comes up.
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers for communications projects as needed.
- Periodic evening and Sunday commitments.
- Experience with the Jewish community, community organizing or advocacy, progressive campaigns, membership-based community organizations.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written, and please be prepared to submit a writing sample).
- Expertise in social media.
- Basic layout and desktop publishing skills and experience with Adobe InDesign.
- Excellent computer skills, incl. proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite, Wordpress, Google Docs, and an online CRMs (we use CiviCRM).
- A willingness to speak up and take initiative.
- A fondness for details and ability to manage multiple ongoing projects and competing priorities. The ability to be both self-motivated and to take direction – as a staff we switch back and forth often.
Full-time with benefits. Paid Jewish holidays off. Salary for this position is competitive and depends on qualifications. Flexible hours and the ability to work from home on occasion.
Send resume and cover letter along with three references to Carin Mrotz at email@example.com